The era of the long sword spanned almost three centuries (approximately 1350 to 1650). This, undoubtedly, was because it really worked! It featured a distinctive cruciform hilt and a long, double edged blade and was equally adept at opposing both light and heavily armored foes. You see, its extra long blade offered the reach and leverage for powerful stabbing, cutting and chopping strokes while its long cross guard and heavy pommel were useful for hooking, striking and smashing. When heavy plate armor was encountered, blows with the edge were marginally effective and were often abandoned in favor of a "Half-Swording" technique; where one hand grips the hilt and the other the blade to better direct the point in powerful jabs, and to more accurately thrust at the small gaps and joints present in a suit of armor.
Having read S.M. Sterling's "Change" series of science fiction novels about a world that loses 600 years of technological evolution overnight (an event called "The Change") at least a dozen times each, has left our President Lynn C. Thompson quite taken with the many virtues of the Long Sword and inspired him to make a Cold Steel variation.
Modeled on the Italian concept of sword design, the blade and balance slightly favors thrusting attacks, however, its cutting edges are astonishingly effective too and can deliver some down right ferocious blows. Additionally, its simple cruciform hilt is also all business with a long upturned cross guard, leather-over-wood grip, and a counter balancing fish tail pommel. Fast as a frog's tongue the Italian Sword is deadly in a fight and built like a tank.
Since our Italian Long Sword is light and well balanced enough to use in one hand we thought we'd offer a companion dagger to take the place of a shield, targe, or buckler. Scaled down in size but almost identical in appearance, its sharply tapered, double edged blade slightly favors attacks with the point over the edge and is stiff and strong enough to parry any sword.
||The Middle Ages (1000 - 1500)
||Carbon Steel Blade
|Specific Steel Type
||17.1oz (484.8 grams)
Our Lowest Price Guarantee
At BA Blades we're passionate about knives and everything-else sharp! We strive to bring our customers the best knives from the best brands from around the world. This means ensuring that our customers always get value for money when buying from us.
We appreciate the frustration of buying a knife, axe, machete (or anything else for that matter) and then finding it cheaper elsewhere, so you'll be pleased to know that we've got you covered when you buy from us.
If you buy any product from us and then later discover a lower price, please let us know within 7 days and we'll refund the difference to you. It's that easy.
Terms & Conditions
- You must notify us by email firstname.lastname@example.org within 7 days of receiving your goods
- We can only refund the difference on a like-for-like basis. i.e. the exact same product sent on a next-day delivery service
- The best price guarantee only applies to advertised prices. i.e. no verbal deals can be honoured
- We reserve the right in our sole discretion to modify or discontinue the Lowest Price Guarantee or to restrict its availability to any person, at any time, for any or no reason, and without prior notice or liability to you
Free Returns Policy from BA Blades (UK Only)
Here at BA Blades we want you to be completely satisfied with everything you purchase. If you're not happy with anything, for any reason, then all you have to do is return it within 30 days for a full refund. Please note the product must be unused and in its original packaging.
Here's how the Free returns work:
- Contact us with your order details to receive an RMA number. You can contact us at email@example.com or by ringing 0161 785 8073 Option 1
- We'll either email you a Parcel Force shipping label OR send you a pre-paid envelope (depending on what the product is)
- You then parcel the product up and attach the shipping label or pop the product in the pre-paid envelope
- Drop it off at your local post office
- The parcel is then returned to us at no cost to yourself
- As soon as we receive the parcel back we issue you with a full refund
Your statutory rights are not affected. All of our products carry a minimum 12-month warranty against manufacturer's defects.