The advantage of the sword point over the edge became increasingly evident by the end of the 16th century. The Rapier, with its long, elegantly thin profile which emphasized its point, became the popular choice. It was however a somewhat unwieldy weapon especially when it was used in narrow, crowded streets and alleyways. Eventually a more sophisticated, shorter and lighter version emerged that by the end of the 17th century had evolved into an entirely new weapon, the Small Sword.
Civilians carried it for as long as swords remained an integral part of fashionable dress. Its primary advantage was its stiff, lightweight blade which was forged in a triangular cross section. It was a highly lethal weapon, ideal for thrusting, and hung conveniently from a sash, baldric, or belt. The hilt (compared to the Rapier?s) was simple and smartly functional, consisting of no more than an elliptical plate, or two shells and a light knuckle guard.
The Cold Steel Small Sword duplicates the original model in weight, balance, triangular cross section, and sharp point, but uses modern materials like 1055 high carbon blade steel, heat treated to a tough spring temper. The hilt features two shells with functional finger loops and a light, but strong, knuckle guard. Perfectly balanced and weighing only 22 ounces, the Small Sword comes complete with an attractive leather scabbard that features an intricately decorated throat and chape.
||The Early Modern World (1500 - 1775)
||Carbon Steel Blade
|Specific Steel Type
||22.6oz (640.7 grams)
Our Lowest Price Guarantee
At BA Blades we're passionate about knives and everything-else sharp! We strive to bring our customers the best knives from the best brands from around the world. This means ensuring that our customers always get value for money when buying from us.
We appreciate the frustration of buying a knife, axe, machete (or anything else for that matter) and then finding it cheaper elsewhere, so you'll be pleased to know that we've got you covered when you buy from us.
If you buy any product from us and then later discover a lower price, please let us know within 7 days and we'll refund the difference to you. It's that easy.
Terms & Conditions
- You must notify us by email firstname.lastname@example.org within 7 days of receiving your goods
- We can only refund the difference on a like-for-like basis. i.e. the exact same product sent on a next-day delivery service
- The best price guarantee only applies to advertised prices. i.e. no verbal deals can be honoured
- We reserve the right in our sole discretion to modify or discontinue the Lowest Price Guarantee or to restrict its availability to any person, at any time, for any or no reason, and without prior notice or liability to you
Free Returns Policy from BA Blades (UK Only)
Here at BA Blades we want you to be completely satisfied with everything you purchase. If you're not happy with anything, for any reason, then all you have to do is return it within 30 days for a full refund. Please note the product must be unused and in its original packaging.
Here's how the Free returns work:
- Contact us with your order details to receive an RMA number. You can contact us at email@example.com or by ringing 0161 785 8073 Option 1
- We'll either email you a Parcel Force shipping label OR send you a pre-paid envelope (depending on what the product is)
- You then parcel the product up and attach the shipping label or pop the product in the pre-paid envelope
- Drop it off at your local post office
- The parcel is then returned to us at no cost to yourself
- As soon as we receive the parcel back we issue you with a full refund
Your statutory rights are not affected. All of our products carry a minimum 12-month warranty against manufacturer's defects.